Just got back from a trip to my local Apple store to finally get around to sorting out the ghosting on my Retina MacBook Pro. I picked up one of the first 15" Retina MacBook Pros when they were launched back in June 2012. It's a quad core i7 with 16GB RAM, and it's probably the best computer I've owned.
Performance is stunning, connectivity is brilliant and I love it to bits.
It's so powerful, it was able to completely replace my 2008 8-core Mac Pro - it even encodes faster.
The only issue I have, is that it does suffer from "ghosting" or image persistence. In day to day usage, this isn't a problem to me as I usually work with the machine in clamshell mode, hooked up to 2 x 27" Thunderbolt displays. However, when I do use the laptop without the external monitors, it is noticeable. So, I thought I'd better get it seen to whilst still in warranty.
After inspection, the intended course of action was to replace the screen.
The only problem is that they wanted me to leave the machine with them and it could take up to seven days to replace the screen. As the rMBP is my main production machine, and I've got a ton of work to do leading up to Macworld, that wasn't really an option.
I have got a couple of spare Macs, but they are all a bit old now (relatively) and none have Thunderbolt connectivity. I still have a "spare" Mac Pro, but that is still only in use as it supports some legacy cards for some RAID enclosures and my DroboPro.
More recently, I've bought some Thunderbolt storage, which hooks up directly to my rMBP.
I love having a single production machine, but there are occasions when I would like to access the storage when my rMBP is not on my desk.
One of the things I pondered last year, was to look at replacing an older Mac mini with a new one. I held off at the time as I wanted to wait until they were available with both Thunderbolt and USB3. Well now the new Mac minis do support Thunderbolt and USB3, have quad core i7 processors plus have the benefit of the new Fusion Drive.
The thought of having to live without the rMBP for potentially up to 7 days has crystallised my thoughts. If it causes me pain to be without it for a planned outage, what about if it has an unplanned outage.
You can see where this is going don't you.
So, my current plan of action is this…
- Acquire a 2.6Ghz Quad-Core i7 Mac mini with 4GB RAM plus a 1TB Fusion Drive
- Upgrade to 16GB RAM from Crucial (I'm not completely barking)
- Build the Mac mini as a hot standby production machine
- Move the Thunderbolt storage to the Mac Mini and have it permanently accessible.
So whilst the rMBP is off for repair, I can use the Mac mini as my production machine and have it as an up to date spare machine with comparable performance. It also gives me the benefit of being able to access the Thunderbolt connected storage from any machine (or remotely) plus gives me some exposure to the new Fusion Drive technology for review, and to feature in a ScreenCastsOnline tutorial.